In chapter seven of Launching
the Imagination Mary Stewart starts by talking about critiques; how do go
about participating in one and how many different kinds there are. Many of the
things she said about critiques I have already learned from going through the
critiques that we do in class, but what I didn’t know was that there are
different kinds of critiques that are supposed to get different outcomes.
Stewart listed description, cause and effect, compare and contrast and greatest
strength/unrealized potential as all the different kinds of critiques. As she
described them, they all seemed to be helpful, not only to the artist getting
critiques from others, but also when giving critiques to the artist. The rest
of the chapter talks about pushing your project to reach its potential. She
listed and described different ways to do that. Through adding and subtracting
different elements of the piece, by transformation parts or the whole of a
piece, by reorganizing parts or the whole piece, by creating different
variations of the piece, and by ultimately accepting responsibility and taking
credit for your own piece and your own ideas. I thought it was interesting how
she broke each of those down to explain different ways of going about pushing the
piece to its potential. I am always thinking to myself, ‘how can I make this
piece better?’ but the way Stewart laid the foundation for taking action to do
something about it made it a whole lot easier to push my pieces to their
potential.
No comments:
Post a Comment