Monday, January 20, 2014

'Digital Visual Culture: Theory and Practice' Edited by Anna Bentkowska-Kafel, Trish Cashen and Hazel Gardiner

        In pages 15-22 of Digital Visual Culture: Theory and Practice there is a lot of information crammed into those few pages. The section I read titled, Aesthetics and Interactive Art, Karen Cham describes the separation that has occurred, and still continues to occur, between art and technology. I think that because art has been around since the time of the caveman and technology hasn't, they are hard to correlate with one another. It's hard to take an old idea and combine it with a new one. Cham says that an aesthetic can be, "driven by the senses, emotions, intellect, will, desires, culture, preferences, subconscious behavior, conscious decision, training, instinct, sociological institutions, or some complex combination of these", which I believe can be the case with art and technology and a combination of the two. I wouldn't go so much as to say that the two are interchangeable, but they are definitely factors that should be working together instead of separately. The old concepts are driving the new ones, and, in a way, the news ones can also drive the old ones. Art and technology are two great 'inventions' that serve a great purpose and should be used to together to achieve greater things. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that art and technology are separate inventions but should be combined more often. In particular, I think it is crucial to combine the two to create "nice looking" technology, versus technology that only serves a purpose. Visual appeal without a doubt helps sell a product, so I think once we see that concept embraced more vividly, there were will be less controversy like the kind Cham discusses.

    ReplyDelete